Arizona Standards for Third Grade
- Proficiently and independently read a wide variety of grade-level appropriate literature
- Apply a variety of strategies to comprehend, recount and paraphrase grade level literature.
- Demonstrate understanding of how parts of a text, such as chapters, build on each other.
- Determine the central idea of a text and how key details contribute to that central idea.
- Locate evidence in the text to support answers and opinions.
- Distinguish their point of view from that of the narrator or characters.
- Compare and contrast themes, settings, and plots of stories.
- Proficiently and independently read a wide variety of grade-level appropriate informational texts
- Demonstrate understanding of how parts of a text, such as specific paragraphs, build on each other
- Determine the central idea of a text and how key details contribute to that central idea
- Locate evidence in the text to support answers and opinions
- Make connections between a series of historical events, scientific ideas or steps in technical procedures
- Find the meaning of key vocabulary words in informational texts
- Use various text features, such as glossaries, icons and indexes, to locate key facts and information
- Apply a variety of strategies to comprehend, recount and paraphrase gradelevel informational text
- Compare and contrast the most important points from two texts on the same topic
- Write opinion and explanatory pieces that include evidence to support ideas, linking words, and a conclusion
- Write narratives that include a clear sequence of events, descriptive details, dialogue, and words that indicate a change in time
- Revise writing based on feedback from adults and peers
- Conduct short research projects
- Gather information from sources to answer a question
- Produce writing that is organized for specific task, audience and purpose
- Read, write and transcribe using manuscript and cursive writing
- Spell regular two and three syllable words and single syllable words with less common spellings
- Use resources such as dictionaries and thesauri to check spellings.
- Engage in a range of collaborative discussions by asking and answering questions, reporting on topics
- Speak in complete sentences when appropriate to task and audience
- Demonstrate proper usage of pronouns, adjectives, adverbs, and other parts of speech
- Determine the meaning of unknown words using root words, prefixes, suffixes, context clues, and dictionaries
- Represent and solve problems involving whole number
multiplication and division.
- Understand properties of multiplication and the relationship
between multiplication and division.
- Multiply and divide within 100.
- Solve problems involving the four operations, and identify and
explain patterns in arithmetic.
- Use place value understanding and properties of operations to
perform multi-digit arithmetic
- Understand fractions as numbers.
- Solve problems involving measurement.
- Represent and interpret data.
- Geometric measurement: Understand concepts of area and
- Reason with shapes and their attributes.
Download Our 3rd Grade Brochure
Learn more about Tuba City Elementary School Third Grade