Welcome To Kindergarten
Our Mission Statement
The TCUSD mission is to provide a quality education in a safe and encouraging environment for all of our students.
Our Kindergarten program Provides:
- A full day program
- Bus transportation is available for all students.
- Opportunities for parents and other adults to volunteer
- A rich, developmentally appropriate curriculum
- Free lunch for all students.
Arizona’s English Language Arts Standards for Kindergarten
- Understand key ideas, characters, and setting in a story or poem
- Ask and answer questions about stories and poems, such as who, what, when, where, why and how
- Retell key details from a story or poem
- Ask and answer questions about unknown words in a text
- Understand the organization and basic features of print
- Recognize and orally manipulate sounds
- Blend sounds to read written words with accuracy and fluency
- Read and recognize sight words and different kinds of syllable types
- Use phonics to write words and express thoughts and ideas in writing
- Use foundational skills to access a variety of texts
- Use a combination of drawing, dictating, and writing to craft texts with different purposes
- Explore digital tools for effective communication
- Generate ideas for writing from reading stories, poetry, and informational texts
- Make connections across content areas into the world around them
- Write upper and lowercase manuscript letters to communicate ideas
- Separate simple words into their syllables
- Write frequently used words
- Listen actively
- Speak in complete sentences for effective communication
- Share ideas with peers
- Ask and answer questions to clarify understanding
- Use common nouns and verbs
- Pluralize words by adding “s” or “es”
- Recognize and name end punctuation
- Sort common words into categories
- Use words and phrases learned from conversation and readings.
- Know number names and the count sequence.
- Count to tell the number of objects.
- Compare numbers
- Know number names and the count sequence..
- Understand addition as putting together and adding to, and
understand subtraction as taking apart and taking from.
- Work with numbers 11-19 to gain foundations for place value
Use place value understanding and properties of operations to
add and subtract.
- Describe and compare measurable attributes.
- Classify objects and count the number of objects in categories.
- Identify and describe shapes.
- Analyze, compare, create and compose shapes.
TCES Kindergarten Teachers
The Kindergarten Program
- Receive daily language arts experiences including reading, writing, listening and speaking.
- Use language effectively and understand that spoken langauge can be written.
- Learn to get along with others and demonstrate responsible behaviors.
- Demonstrate knowledge of numbers and apply mathematical concepts in their daily life.
- Learn to gather information through their senses and demonstrate observation and inquiry skill.
- Develop a healthy sence of self.
- Learn through a variety of opportunities to play.
Ways to Prepare Your Child
- Practice following simple direction and following rules.
- Practice using crayons, pencils and scissors.
- Be able to use the restroom independently.
- Practice speaking in complete sentences using four or five words.
- Share with others.
- Know and state age when asked.
- State and recognize full name when asked (not nickname).
- Identify basic colors and shapes.
- Count objects up to five or ten.
- Listen to a short story with interest.
- Begin identifying letters and numbers.
- Practice identifying the beginning sound of a word.
All Day Schedule
- 8:00-8:15 – Bell Work
- 8:15 – 8:55 – Reteach/Enrich, Morning Meeting, Morning Message, Calendar, songs, story
- 9:00-9:40- Specials
- 9:40-10:20- Daily Navajo Language
- 10:25-10:55- Daily Math Skills
- 11:00 – 11:20 – Recess-
- 11:20 – 11:40 – Lunch
- 11:50 – 1:00 – Balanced Math
- 1:00 – 1:30 – Spalding
- 1:30 – 2:50 – Balanced Literacy
- 2:50 – Pick up Dismissal
- 3:00 – Board Buses
School Supply List
- Healthy Snacks
- Large Pencils
- Large Erasers
- Glue Sticks
- Folders With Pockets
- Large Crayons
- Clorox Disinfecting Wipes
- Sandwich Baggies With Zip Lock
- Large Gallon Bag With Zip Lock
Download Our Kindergarten Brochure
Learn more about Tuba City Elementary School Kindergarten