Arizona’s Standards for 5th Grade
- Independently and proficiently read grade-appropriate and increasingly complex literature from a variety of genres
- Determine themes in literary texts
- Analyze elements of literature, including an author’s use of figurative language
- Quote accurately by referring to the text
- Compare and contrast different texts
- Analyze the way a text is structured
- Read and analyze grade appropriate informational text from a variety of content areas such as history/social studies, science and technical texts
- Determine meaning from reading informational texts
- Quote text accurately by referring to the text
- Summarize informational text accurately
- Integrate information gained from a variety of texts to determine different points of view
- Apply a variety of strategies to read unknown words in and out of context
- Read text with purpose and understanding, self-monitoring understanding
- Write opinion and explanatory pieces that include evidence to support ideas, linking words, precise vocabulary and a conclusion
- Write narratives that include a clear sequence of events, descriptive details, dialogue, and words that indicate a change in time
- Conduct short research projects to build knowledge through investigation
- Plan, draft, revise and edit to produce clear and coherent writing
- Demonstrate sufficient command of keyboarding skills to complete a writing task
- Read and write cursive and manuscript
- Collaborate in discussions through effectively speaking and listening in a variety of settings
- Prepare for a discussion by reading and studying the required materials, drawing on that preparation during the discussion
- Paraphrase information from a wide range of sources
- Report on a topic or text, sequencing ideas logically, using relevant facts and details, and including multimedia components
- Demonstrate mastery of grade level conventions (grammar, capitalization, punctuation, and spelling)
- Construct paragraphs that include an introduction of the topic, supporting details, and conclusion
- Use knowledge of Greek and Latin prefixes, suffixes, and roots to determine the meaning of unknown words
- Determine the meaning of unknown words using root words, prefixes, suffixes, context clues, and dictionaries
- Demonstrate the meaning of idioms and figurative language
- Write and interpret numerical expressions.
- Analyze patterns and relationships.
- Understand the place value system.
- Perform operations with multi-digit whole numbers and with
decimals to hundredths.
- Use equivalent fractions to add and subtract fractions.
- Use previous understandings of multiplication and division to
multiply and divide fractions.
- Convert like measurement units within a given measurement
- Represent and interpret data.
- Geometric measurement: understand concepts of volume and
relate volume to multiplication and addition.
- Graph points on the coordinate plane to solve mathematical
problems as well as problems in real-world context.
- Classify two-dimensional figures into categories based on their
- Be prepared to learn, respond and produce quality work.
- Respect the classroom, peers and teaching staff.
- Listen and focus with a positive mind.
- Stay on task and be productive to achieve the goal.
- Do not interrupt the learning of your peers.
- Be active in participation and engagement.
- Use attentive listening.
- Follow directions effectively. Ask questions to clarify.
- Complete work or assignment in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate positive learning.
5th Grade Supply List
- 1- 2 inch 3 ring binder
- 5 – 2 pocket Folders
- Highlighters (4/5 Pack)
- Pens (Red & Blue)
- Graphing Paper
- 4 – Regular notebooks (college rule)
- #2 wooden pencils
- Colored pencils
- Crayola Markers
- Dry Erase Markers (1 pack)
- Glue sticks (1 pack)
- Blunt tip student scissor
- Kleenex tissue (2 boxes)
- 2 – Sanitizing wipes (Clorox)
- 2 – Hand sanitizers
Please label your child’s supplies with their name. If you are able to donate extra supplies for other students, please drop these items off at the front office or with your child’s teacher.
Download Our Fifth Grade Brochure
Learn more about Tuba City Elementary School fifth Grade